Friday, January 31, 2014

Thrifting Finds and Finished Projects

Well my dear readers, here we are at the end of January. Times seems to go by faster the older one gets. I certainly did notice that once I graduated from high school time would pass me by even faster. it probably didn't help that I was attending college full time and working 40+ hours a week. Since moving to Nevada, time has slowed down a bit. There isn't a much to do here so maybe that's why things are at a slower pace.

I'm sure that I've mentioned this before, but I love thrifting. It's such a fun activity; like treasure hunting. You really never know what you will run across. A couple of months ago, I found several vintage knitting magazines. Here's a funny bit, every time I have run across a vintage magazine, pattern or pamphlet I have always seen the back cover first. Why or how this always happens I really don't know. I see the vintage typing or photos and I get really excited.

 photo b93b0725-df7a-4983-8095-1bae4af6c445_zps83fc58cf.jpg

I love this cover girl. She has a great outfit on and those go-go boots are pretty sweet too. I'm actually considering knitting this cardigan. I love the color and it should be easier to adjust for bust size since this one goes up to 44".
 photo a745632e-68ff-4427-97f6-997409f77dcd_zps467787c8.jpg


This magazine dates back to either 1951 or 1957. I'm terrible at reading Roman numerals. It has a great selection of gloves and mittens. I love the blue and white mittens on the lower left corner.


 photo e16a874c-30f0-4163-a42d-51a541c5856d_zps30156312.jpg
Another great magazine. Plenty of pullovers and cardigans. It looks like it's from the 1960s. There are a few patterns I like but at a 38" bust I don't have the skill yet to alter the pattern.


Oh how I do love me a good men's sweater. Especially vintage men's sweaters. There are a lot of patterns in this magazine. Some I like better than others. I do, however, like the navy blue and red  cardigan in the photo below.


 photo fd7aa0d5-c34e-4981-978f-b8db437bd404_zpsad7c4fb8.jpg






 photo IMG_1326_zps8a287d75.jpg

Ahhh, my Spanish Lady. Now, I've never been one for dolls. Grtowing up my sister and I would often give Barbie hair cuts and makeup jobs that would make her look like a beat up street walker. I always perferred books an tea sets. However, when I saw this lady in the toy section at the Goodwill I couldn't pass her up. And for a buck who would.
 photo IMG_1327_zps11f52e8d.jpg





 photo IMG_1322_zps156a3b3f.jpg

A vintage men's Pendleton wool cardigan. I love this cute little cardi. It buttons up and has pockets. I love having pockets on sweaters and cardigans. It only had one tiny spot were some stitches had come undone but that was quickly taken care of.
 photo IMG_1325_zps196638e0.jpg


 There are a few other items that I've thrifted but I figured I'd post those in a later post. Here are a few of my finished  sewing and crafting projects.

 photo IMG_1305_zps6ebc42c4.jpg

I love making circle skirts. They give such a wonderful shape with a petticoat and are fun to twirl in. I was thrifting at Goodwill when I saw this fabric. A sheet really. I thought" This will make an awesome circle skirt." It reminds me of the abstract/messy artist prints that were popular in the 1950's. It has two side seam pockets.


 photo IMG_1306_zps36d005ed.jpg

Believe it or not, I've had this fabric for 5 years. Yup. I hoard fabric until I find the perfect project for it. Another circle skirt. This one only has one pocket. I may need to make or knit a matching blouse.


 photo IMG_1310_zpseb8b47cf.jpg

I finally got my butt in gear and made this flower clip holder frame thingy. I thrifted the frame a while ago. I spray painted it with a glittery black paint and made the background for it. Can you tell I can't ever hang anything straight? It fills out the space nicely and gives me a visual of what I have.

 photo purse_zpsa1a717d2.jpg

I thrifted the straw purse a couple of years ago. I love straw purses. I had used the purse before and to give it a pop of color had clipped in some of my hair flowers. I wanted to give it a tropical feel so I added some leaves and pears. Im really happy with how it turned out.


 photo dicenecklace_zps57319290.jpg
I love vintage 1940s necklaces. Too bad most of them are in the $100+ range if it's true vintage.  A couple of years ago I bought this vintage Lucite dice bracelet. I loved it but it was on the smaller side so I never wore it. A few weeks back I was in one of my crafting moods and this happened. This is version 2.0 and i had some help figuring it out. It's a bit heavy but it looks great. I also want to make a matching pair of dangling earrings. I just need to buy the hardware.



 photo IMG_1321_zps2e62f6e8.jpg
I hope everyone has a great weekend.And as always, here's a photo of Ridley sleeping in his cat tree.







14 comments:

  1. Fabulous circle skirts! I love making these too, they are such fun and so easy. Ridley looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love pleated skirts but I'm SO bad at making them even.

      Delete
  2. How funny the lovely Suzanne (a fellow blogging friend from New York) send me the same gloves and mittens vintage magazine, i love those magazines they are so amazing! and how beautiful are your circle skirts. me too i keep sometimes fabrics for ages till i finally have the perfect idea in my mind how to use them;)
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree. Vintage magazines are so pretty and unique.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous finds and projects! I love your framed flower holder. After years or squishing them into make-up style storage bags (usually free ones from Clinique purchases), last year I had the idea of stringing up a sturdy piece of ribbon in my en suite bathroom (on one wall) and clipping them all, sorted in a rainbow-esque order, to that. It works like a charm, didn't got a thing (because I had the ribbon already) and is quite fun to go pluck a flower or two from when getting dressed (just as I'm sure it is with your framed, very similar, version).

    Big hugs & happy start of February wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I used to have them clips in our bathroom too but I never used them. I'm one of those people that if I don't see it I won't remember it.

      Delete
  4. I love the Spainsh Lady and the straw bag! I also like the 60s images of the college girls on the knit patterns! I, too, restyled my Barbie and she looked often looked like Glitter Gulch meets Manhattan bag lady. All she needed was a pair of clear plaform shoes and a shopping cart full of trash and cats!

    I love the circle skirts. They are awesome! Fabulous prints!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara! I love a good print on my dresses and skirt.

      Delete
  5. that necklace is so pretty. I love thrifted things too.I get some real treasures n vintage stuff at times that makes me really happy !
    Thanks so much for ur comment on my blog !
    ✿thefashionflite
    ✿twitter
    ✿Bloglovin
    ✿FaceBook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I can make myself decent jewelry.

      Delete
  6. Thrifting is my LIFE!!! I didn;t make it out last week, and it's KILLING me!
    Now, knitting......I just haven't the patience to learn! My Mama was a great knitter. I really must learn, even if only to make adorable mittens! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to go every weekend to see what good the Thrift Gods send my way. I love knitting! I just wish I had started earlier.

      Delete
  7. That dice necklace is adorable!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why my comment didn't take before, anyway love all your thrifted finds and yes, I too hoard fabric. Cute necklace, I also love those novelty jewelry but sooooo expensive. I hope this works I'm on my phone.

    ReplyDelete